Monday, March 8, 2010

Dangerously On Again

I feel like I had the best sex of my life last night. And I didn't have sex.
This is why expectations are the worst ideas in the world. When you have great expectations, and they're not met, you're thrown into a bout of disappointment that's hard to pull yourself out of. When you have bad expectations, it paralyzes you and you can literally create the outcome you so vigorously feared.
I can honestly, truly say that this was the greatest weekend so far of 2010, even though it started out with a Panic Attack so epic that I thought my subsequent weeks to months were ruined. The reason my weekend ended up being so great was because I defied my own expectations.
Before I continue any further, I promise, promise for any new readers coming in, tonight I'm going to be placing TAGS on all my posts thus far, because my story is a pretty detailed one, and if you're jumping in straight in the middle, I wouldn't want you to have missed any of the good stuff. And things are just getting good again.
Spring's coming. It was almost 50 degrees this weekend and will almost be 60 today and tomorrow. I didn't even have any trouble waking up this morning. There wasn't a cloud in the sky. It's one of this sickeningly happy mornings that you only see in the movies. Since spring is just around the corner...let's consider this the end of Season 1 of [My Own Voice Over] and the premiere of Season 2.
See how I did that? Seasons? Because Spring is a season? Aren't I clever?
For anyone following, you're probably wondering how my evening went with OAOA. Things have been rocky and emotional between us to say the least, especially since the her trip to the ER, which I thought was an amazing time and actually wasn't.
Well last night actually was an amazing time.
We were going to the Continental Midtown, which is a snazzy joint, so I wanted to look nice, but I didn't want to get too dressed up, because I didn't want her to think it was a date. But I also didn't want to dress down too much so it would seem like I didn't care. I said "Screw it" and went with what I felt comfortable with. You can't go wrong with a nice button-down, jeans, and solid shoes.
It was a really nice, quiet evening at the Continental, low music, low lighting, small crowd...we found a cozy corner on a tiny couch, her sipping on a sweet Martini, me relishing in a glass of Cabernet, the both of us celebrating our recent career successes. There wasn't a moment we weren't smiling. There wasn't a moment we weren't giggling or joking or looking attentively into the others' eyes, listening as hard as we could to what the other had to say. We ordered cheesecake and shared it together. We took pictures of the two of us on our phones. I felt confident, secure, and alive...I felt happy.
I know she's not my girlfriend. I know she doesn't want that from me. And as much as I'm in love with her and want that from her, I haven't given up because I believed there was something worth saving in there, and that just because she was a female, doesn't mean she couldn't be one of the closest friends I have. The connection we have is one I haven't had with anyone else, and I know she feels the same, even though not in a romantic manner. Last night proved to myself that I respected her boundaries and gave her the space she wanted enough to trust me again...and maybe we really are "On Again" as best friends.
I know I make her out to be this confusing, wicked female on here sometimes, someone who is dead set on making my head spin, but I wasn't so wonderful to her either in the six months we've known each other. I've been overbearing, melodramatic, needy, clingy...all those things a girl never wants. The reason I believe we keep giving each other second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth chances is because we know there's something great there that shouldn't be discarded...it just needs to be worked on.
As I spoke of in My Role As Friend and also more privately discussed with My First Internet Enemy (whom I miss...Katie if you're reading this, come say hi!) everybody has a specific role in our lives, whether we realize it or not. And MFIE noted to me that while I'm looking for that one person to fill ALL my needs, find people that can fill singular needs in your life, and build and foundation that way.
OAOA fills a big role in my life...some way, some how. And I'm looking forward to see how Pam fits into the whole picture. :)
Happy Spring, all. It's going to be a good season. :)
-Spontaneous K

5 comments:

JenJen said...

UHHHHH why do I feel like this is heading toward another car wreck?? I still want to stab her in the lung a little. Sorry.

Spontaneous K said...

JenJen, I can totally understand you wanting to stab her in the lung a little.

I've wanted to do that also at points.

And while I don't disagree that if we're not careful, another car wreck is quite possible...you and I both know we can't stop watching. :)

I think I do this on purpose.

Katie said...

Hi!

Thanks for my loverly shout out. I check in on ya and make sure you're okay all the time.

That being said, I'm in agreement with everyone else. It always feels good in the moment to act on impulse. You say she's not your girlfriend, but that's the epic goal. The whole "in my life is better than nothing at all?" BS. BS. BS. BS.

Tread easily. Be careful with your heart. It's still tender, and putting in this blender of a relationship again is so risky. Especially when she has no idea what she wants.

JenJen said...

P.S. I nominated you for the Sunshine Award on my blog :) In the process of posting now.....check it out in like 60 minutes ;)

http://jensbattlebook.blogspot.com/

Spontaneous K said...

To everyone who's with me, everyone who's telling me I'm making a mistake, and to everyone who's watching with great caution and hoping for the best...

...I think I know what I'm doing.

Maybe. :) But you only live once, right, imerika?