Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Thoughts On Valentine's Day

Like I'm not the billionth person to talk about their opinions on this Hallmark holiday, it still seems necessary since I've deemed myself a hopeless romantic.

What would JD do on Valentine's Day?

Probably something zany with Turk, professing his guy love, and then at the end of the episode have a problem with one of the females in his life.

My Valentine's Day was not like that. With the exception of professing my guy love for the several Turks that I have. It's fun. I like hugs. JD likes hugs.

Here's the crazy part about all this V-Day business. Over the past couple years, the day has just kind of passed me by like any other day. I've almost forgotten that it was even there, despite the onslaught of red, pink, and white hearts, bears, and what-have-you. (I actually got pretty annoyed when I saw V-Day decorations up somewhere around January 19th. V-Day does NOT need to be a month long holiday. It ain't Halloween.)

Not to say that it wouldn't be nice to have someone special on V-Day, but for the past couple years, I haven't felt obligated to. It's because...well...Valentine's Day is fabricated. I tell people on a daily basis that I love them. Why should this day be any different? I certainly thought about my potential "one" today, but not more than any other day.

It's other special days that I still seem to have problems with, and I'm SO glad they've passed. Days like my birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve. I actually love those holidays, but there is so much more meaning behind them that it's tough not to feel sad when you're single as they roll around. Even Halloween can be a little bit of a downer.

Wow, yeah, I sound like a putz. I try my best to enjoy those days, because that's what they're there for. To be thankful for all that you DO have, not to be focusing on what you don't. It can be hard though, when you've never had the birthday, Christmas, New Years, that you've wanted, and you see happy couples all around.

Whatever the case is, I'm just dandy this Valentine's Day. It has come and gone, I've made it through unscathed once more, and spring is just around the corner. And isn't spring all about love anyway? :)

I do have plenty of love. There's nothing like a good bromance in one's life. Here's an example:




Happy Valentine's Day to all the Bromances!!

-Spontaneous K

0 comments: